George P. Augustine, Postmaster, Braceville, was born December 28, 1811, in Stark County, Ohio; is a son of John and Margaret (Wishard) Augustine, natives of Pennsylvania, and the parents of John, George P., Mary, Joseph, Matilda, Margaret and Oliver P. The mother died in 1844, and the father came West in 1852, locating 640 acres in Braceville Township, this county, as a land warrant for services in the war of 1812. The father was a Justice of the Peace here, Supervisor, and held other minor offices. While in Ohio, the father was Sheriff of Stark County, and was eight years in the State Legislature; he died in 1871. Our subject closed his school days at the age of twelve years, at which time he was actively engaged on a farm. When he reached his majority, he began boating on the Ohio Canal, at which he was successful. In 1844, he entered the mercantile business at Waynesburg, Stark County, Ohio, and in 1861 he closed out his business there and applied his time in Grundy County, erecting the first house in what is now the present site of the village of Braceville. The old building is now known as the Milwaukee Hotel. He used this building as a warehouse and for store room; he bought corn at that time for 9 cents per bushel and eggs at 3 cents per dozen. In 1876, he closed out said business, and also his coal interests, in which he had been interested since 1865. At the latter, he sustained a severe loss. By economy, he had accumulated a fortune, of probably $300,000, the greater portion of which he lost in the coal business. In 1862, he was commissioned Postmaster at Braceville, which position he holds today. Was married in 1847, to Julia Fisher, the result being one child – Elizabeth, who married S. B. Holly (deceased). His wife died in 1872 and since then he has resided with his daughter. In the spring of 1882, he was chosen Justice of the Peace, which position he now holds. He was identified with the Whig party, and since then has been a strong Republican.
Source: History of Grundy County, Illinois. Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co. Historical Publishers, 1882, p. 105-106.