HENRY BAUM, dry goods and millinery, Morris, was born in New Jersey April 4, 1855, son of George BAUM, whose sketch appears in another part of this work. There were three sons, of whom our subject is the eldest, and the only one living, and two daughters. Henry was educated principally at the public schools of Morris, and took a commercial course at Bryant & Stratton’s College of Chicago, graduating in that course in the spring of 1872. He began business by clerking in the dry goods establishment of L. F. BEACH & Co., of Morris, remaining there nearly two years, then in partnership with Mr. SCHOBERT opened a similar store in 1874, the firm name being BAUM & SCHOBERT. This firm continued together till 1881, at which time they divided, and since each of them has run a separate store. Mr. Henry BAUM is a member of the Masonic order at this place, has taken all the degrees of lodge and chapter, and will likely go through the commandery at an early date. Subject has one of the finest stores in the city, and does a good business. He owns a block of tenement houses near the High School building in Morris, and a couple of vacant lots on Main street; he is also interested in several mines in Colorado, prominent among them is the one owned by the Grundy Mining Company.
History of Grundy County, Illinois. Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co. Historical Publishers, 1882, pp. 9-10.
Baum, Henry, one of the leading merchants of Morris, and a man whose public spirit has made him an important factor in bringing to the city some of its leading industries, was born in New Jersey, April 4, 1855, a son of George Baum. His educational advantages were supplied by the schools of Morris, and Bryant & Stratton’s Business College of Chicago. His business career had its beginning when he became a clerk for L. F. Beach & Co. of Morris, but within two years, in 1874, he, in partnership with Mr. Schobert, established a similar store under the name of Baum & Schobert. In 1881 the partners separated, each continuing to do business alone. Mr. Baum belongs to the Masonic order, and is an important factor in Blaney Commandery.
History of Grundy County, Illinois. Chicago, IL, USA: Munsell Publishing, 1914, p. 763.