James Anderson, retired, Verona, is a native of Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, born May 27, 1817, son of Andrew and Elizabeth Anderson, of Ireland, who came to the United States in 1793, he being then but three years old. When subject was nine years old, his parents moved from Pennsylvania to Harrison County, Ohio, where they lived until 1840, when they removed to Illinois, and settled in Pike County. There our subject was married, March 25, 1841, to Miss Lydia Marshall, daughter of David and Elizabeth Marshall, born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, May 16, 1804. Mrs. Anderson has been blind since the fall of 1874. They came to Grundy County in June, 1855, and settled in Section 13, of Vienna Township, where he owned 330 acres of land, including 160 acres in Section 18 of Mazon Township, where he lived until 1873; he has lately sold his farms and bought property in the village of Verona, where they have lived for the past two years, his father died in this county February 19, 1857; his mother died in Macon County, Ill., in 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Presbyterian Church of Verona. Since selling his farms he has retired, and they expect to spend the remainder of their days in the quiet of the village of Verona.
Source: History of Grundy County, Illinois. Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co. Historical Publishers, 1882, p. 139-40.