Morris Herald – August 25, 1876

Excerpts from the Morris Herald for August 25, 1876.



On last Saturday evening the Centennial Band of this city serenaded Mr. and Mrs. S.J. Nichols, of the Forest City Hotel, it being the 42nd birthday of Mrs. Nichols. After some very excellent music by the band, the boys were invited into the house where a bountiful collection had been prepared, to which the band and a few invited guests did full justice. Mr. and Mrs. Nichols have indeed brought order out of chaos. At the time they leased the hotel property, it was one of the dirtiest, dingiest places in the city, but under their management the house had been thoroughly cleaned, painted and papered from garret to cellar. Every nook and cranny about the premises has been looked after, and no house in the city is better prepared for the entertainment of guests. Mrs. Nichols has long had a reputation for cleanliness, so that the house will be kept in order, as it is now, is guaranteed. The table will be in conformity with other things pertaining to the house, always supplied with the best the market affords. No house in the city offers better advantages for a quiet home than the Forest City House. Mr. Nichols is determined that there shall be no loafers or rowdyism about the house. We predict an extensive patronage of the house.


On Wednesday of last week Math. A’Hern was brought before Justice McBride under three different indictments; one for selling liquor to minors; one keeping open tippling house on the Sabbath; and one keeping disorderly house. When the first cause came up for trial it was found that the prosecution was not ready, inasmuch as some necessary papers were not at hand. The trail was postponed until Saturday, when they were again brought up, and then it was discovered that the prosecution were acting under ordinances that had been repealed. But Mathew was probably tired of further litigation and he lay down; in other words he acknowledged the corn and plead guilty to the indictments and promised to make a retraction to the City Council of his statement to that body, regarding Marshal Hopkins and Policeman Bogart, on condition that the fines in the causes be suspended; he to pay costs amounting in all to about $60, and thus the matter stands. Mathew continuing his business of selling liquor with the cloud upon his good name and business as sworn to by the police officers, and which by his retraction he acknowledges to be true.


Another Landmark Removed

In the town of Wauponsee, Grundy County, Ills., on the morning of the 17th inst. Jacob Claypool, passed away. He was born in Randolph County, Virginia, August 23rd, 1789, and if he had lived but six days more, would have been 88 years of age. He moved from Randolph county to near Chillicothe, Ohio (then Northwestern Territory) in 1799. He served in the war of 1812, in the 1st regiment of Ohio volunteers. On his return from the war he settled in Brown County, Ohio, where he remained until 1834, when he removed to Grundy County, Illinois, accompanied by his two sons, Perry A. and Lawrence W., his wife having previously died. Perry A., his oldest son, died in 1846. Lawrence W., his other son, still survives his father and resides near the old homestead.

Mr. Claypool was one of the earliest settlers of this county, and resided on the farm on which he died, forty-two years. When he came here the vast prairies lay untouched by the hand of man, indians were more plenty and better than white men. He took a deep interest in the organization of Grundy county, and in having the county seat located at Morris. He was one of three of the first Board of Commissioners elected in this county, at the election held on the 24th day of May. Henry Cryder, another of the trio, having died some years ago and James McKees, the third, still resides in this city. He held many offices of honor and trust to the satisfaction of all. Probably no man in the county was more deeply interested, or connected with the organization and welfare of Grundy county, unless it be the lamented George Keirstead. He was a man of large frame; had an iron constitution, hardly ever experienced a day of sickness. His honesty and integrity were never doubted; extraordinarily peculiar and eccentric, and rough in his character and habits, he withstood the hardships of a pioneer life, which just suited him, for eighty-eight years, and was “gathered to his fathers like a shock of corn, fully ripe.”

Jacob Claypool was the possessor of a fund of good common sense, fully acquainted with life and the ways of the world.  He was very original and independent in his thoughts and actions, as a deed, conveying the ground known as the Claypool graveyard, date June 14th, 1841, will show.

(Description of deed is shown)

In that yard was buried his son Perry A., in 1846, and shortly thereafter Mr. Claypool had a tombstone erected bearing the following inscription:

(First side)

Perry Amos Claypool

Born in Clermont, now Brown County, Ohio, June 15, 1815, emigrated to his county 1834.

Died October 15, 1846

Erected by Jacob Claypool

(Second side)

Son of Jacob and Nancy Claypool, late Ballard

Grandson of Abraham and Elizabeth Claypool, late Wilson

Great-grandson of James and Margaret Claypool, late Dunbar

Great great-grandson of William Claypool, of Virginia, whose forefathers emigrated from Germany, by way of England, to America.

Mr. Claypool was the possessor of a cream colored horse, now 35 years old which had for the past 23 years been his constant companion. It was his bequest that at the time of his death the old horse be clothed in mourning. The request was complied with, and old “Nudge” at the head of a procession of 176 vehicles followed his old master to his final resting.

The funeral took place on Friday of last week and was the largest ever held in the county. Rev. Montgomery, of the Congregational church, of this city, officiated. The remains were interred in the grounds as set apart by the above deed, there to remain until the resurrection morn.


One day last week Lewis Miller made an unprovoked assault upon J.B. Lewis, of this city, a man nearly seventy-five years of age, first striking him in the face with an apple and followed it up by striking him in the back. Miller was brought before Court and fined $5.00 and costs.

On the 21st inst., Henry Smith was brought up charged with one plain drunk, for which he was charged $3.00 and costs.

On the 26th Cyrus Foster came into Court and acknowledged that he had been imbibing freely and had been taken in charge by the police authorities. He was fined $3.00 and costs, amounting in all to $12.10.


On last Tuesday Matt. Johnson and wife and three children, of Goodfarm; Leonard Burger, Goodfarm; Mrs. J. J. Paxton and child, Mazon; Andrew Tintsman, Goodfarm; S.E. Hartley, O.D. Nichols, John Milner, and G. W. Pratt, Gardner, left on the excursion to the far west.


On Wednesday evening of last week, Thomas McClearly, a lad about 12 years old, fell from a tree near the residence of his father on North street, and had three ribs broken. One of the ribs penetrated the lung. He was unconscious for a long time, and for a day or two grave fears were entertained of inflammation of the brain. He is now recovering under the care of Dr. Smith, and with care will come out all right.


On last Monday evening Ben Cryer who had imbibed too freely of the crooked, lay down in front of Humble’s saloon, on Liberty street, and went to sleep. While there a canal driver whose name is not known was seen by George Bartlett going through Cryer’s pockets. Bartlett went over and notified Humble of what was going on and the two made the boatman disgorge his ill gotten gains.

We are sorry to hear that Mr. Dan’l Ferguson, of Minooka, is down sick. Great fears are entertained for his recovery.

Neal Brown, of Ottawa, was in the city last week, visiting his old chum, John Schobert.

Rev. John Maxwell, of Livingston county, a former resident of this county, was in town this week.

Prof. Waters, Superintendent of the Morris schools, returned home from the East on last Tuesday night.

Rev. J. H. Alling, pastor of the M. E. church, will arrive home this evening. Services in the M. E. church next Sunday as usual.

Dr. Maunder, botanic physician, has reopened his office on Liberty street, opposite Dow’s livery stable. Chronic disease a specialty.

William and James Galloway, of Wilmington, were here on Wednesday last, in attendance on the funeral of the little child of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hamlin, that died on Tuesday.

The two schools of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, will open in this city on the first Monday in September. No school in the country is under better management than these, and they should receive a liberal support.

Mr. Alonzo Hatch, of Chicago, has been visiting his sister, Mrs. Bigelow, the past week. Mr. Hatch has but recently returned from Italy, where he has been for the past four years as a medical school. He is said to possess a remarkably sweet tenor voice, and on his return to Chicago a few weeks ago was tendered a complimentary entertainment by the leading citizens. He will doubtless rise to some distinction in the world of music.

Something should be done to prevent boys from baking or marring shade trees about town. A lad came along the other day and deliberately went to work to bark one of the finest trees in front of Mr. Campari’s residence. Mr. C. discovered the fellow at his little job and reported him to his father. Lads as well as older people should remember that trees are valuable, costing a great deal of time frequently in rearing, and should make an effort to preserve rather than destroy them.


Typed and submitted by Kathleen Berner Groll.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.