Morris Herald – June 13, 1890

Excerpts from the Morris Herald for Friday, June 13, 1890.


John Thorson was granted a special permit as city auctioneer, he paying $5 for the privilege.

Mayor Cronin called attention of council to the new road scraper which has been exhibited here recently, and after some discussion of its merits and demerity, the matter of purchase of the machine was referred to the committee on streets and alleys, with power to act.

Ald. Gebhard addressed the council on the importance of a sewer running the length of Liberty street to carry off the surface water which stood in the cellars along that street. He thought something should be done for the accommodation of the property holders, and they, the property holders, were willing to contribute something to that end. Mr. Gebhard thought Mr. Wagner was being persecuted by the frequent arrests and fines imposed because he was guilty of allowing drainage water to stand on his premises, when, as a matter of fact, he could do nothing else. There was no way to get rid of the water, and the city was more at fault than was Mr. Wagner.

This brought Ald. Baum to his feet, who pitched into Smith’s frog pond, at the old Hopkins House corner. He did not believe the Board of Health should altogether overlook the greater nuisance in its efforts to prosecute Mr. Wagner. Wagner had no remedy, while Smith deliberately commits the nuisance and having a remedy does nothing to abate it. He thought if the Board of Health was not in position to do something the council had better take the matter in hand. If Smith did not intend to build on the premises he should be made to fill up the hold he had dug, should be compelled to keep the water drained off. Mr. Baum did not believe a sewer could be run through the street without a system of water works so that the sewer could be flushed out frequently, otherwise it would be a greater nuisance than they now had to contend with. In his opinion the tax payers on the lower portion of the street would not stand it to be taxed for the improvement which would be of no benefit to them.



On the 4th in matter of estate of Gardner D. Ferguson, deceased, report of executor filed, and on the 9th approved.

On the 9th in the matter of estate of John Steel, deceased, sale bill approved.

In the matter of estate of Ira Strong, insane, report of Geo. Baum, conservator, approved.

On the 9th, Christ Ricke, of Goodfarm, was adjudged insane, and remanded to the custody of the sheriff until word could be received admitting him to the Kankakee asylum.

On the 9th, in the matter of estate of Daniel M. Hughes, deceased, will filed; proof of death; petition of Thos. R. Hughes, as executor, filed and approved.


Margaret Stephen to Leila L. Lott, w.d., lot 4 and e¼ lot 5, block 7, Canal Trustees’ add., Morris, $900

W. R. Taylor and U. G. Taylor to Geo. H. Philips, w. d., lots 5, 7 and 8, block 9, Isham’s 2d add., Mazon, $973.

Lewis Lewis to Thos. Howells, w.d., lot 5, block ?, sub. of part of sw¼ se¼ sec 34, Braceville, $25.

Alfred Vincent to Thomas Cassidy, w. d., lot 8, block 28, Mitchell’s add., Braceville, $___.

Thos. Cassidy to Charlotte Vartey, lot 8, block 18, Mitchell’s add., Braceville, $___.

On last Monday evening on invitation of Mrs. W. T. Cary and Miss Jennie Bross the Sons of Veterans, who were in session in G. A. R. Hall, were brought to the restaurant opposite the monument and served to ice cream, strawberries and cake.  The tables were beautifully decorated with flowers and flags, the handiwork of Miss Minnie Cary, assisted Miss Dot Morgan.  It was a very enjoyable occasion to all concerned, and called forth remarks of high appreciation on the part of the Sons of the Vets.  For some time it had been contemplated by Mrs. Cary and Miss Bross to thus recognize the boys, but one thing or another had interfered until now.  Miss Bross, as is well known, has taken a deep interest in the Sons of the Vets, and was very desirous of meeting the boys together before she left the city, which she will do at the close of the school year, possibly not to return again, at least not as a teacher.

Murder of William Peacock

Wm. Peacock, son of Mrs. Mary Peacock, of this city, who resides near Sheldon, Iroquois county, Ill., was murdered on Thursday night, May 20th, by his son, a man about 18 years old.  The information at hand is very meager.  The Sheldon News of last week contained the following:

William Peacock, a farmer living on the west side of the county, was murdered last Thursday night.  His son, a man about 18 years of age, is now in the county jail, and confesses to have committed the awful crime.  He says his mother, who was divorced from his father some twelve years ago, persuaded him to commit the act.  Since the divorce she has married again and lives in Kensington. The sons says the crime was committed for the purpose of securing property supposed to have been gained by the father in a law suit recently pending in the circuit court of this county.

Deceased was married to Miss Mary Youman, who resided in the southern part of Kendall county, some time during the war. They moved to Iroquois county in 1865, where for a time Mr. Peacock was successful in business as a farmer, or rather as a land speculator, but later in life he met with reverses. To them were born two children, a boy and a girl. Some twelve years ago the father and mother separated, the wife securing a divorce and afterwards marrying and moved with her husband to Kensington, near Chicago, she taking with her the girl, while the boy remained with his father. While the boy makes confession of the murder, stating that the deed was committed at the instance of his mother, his story is doubted by many who are acquainted with the parties, and believe the boy was prompted to the deed by abuse received at the hands of the father.


While efforts are being made, in one way or another to induce manufacturing to our city, we have one establishment, which years ago commenced in a small way, has proceeded along without making much disturbance in the world, but gradually enlarging its borders and building up its reputation.  Last year large additions were made to the Woelfel tannery, and they were found too small to care for the extension of business, and now work is progressing and soon will be completed a building adjoining the beam house on the south 115 feet by 40 feet, one story high, while on the north will be erected a building 60 x 30 feet, three stories high, and on the west side an addition to the leech room 40 feet.  There is in contemplation an additional building on the south, connecting with the building erected last year, to be 60 by 140 feet, four stories high. This may be put up this year, but the indications now are that it will not be commenced until next year. The tannery is now working the entire force on specialties, russet and colored leathers for traveling bags and for bicycle work. The goods have a most excellent reputation in the market and the demand cannot be supplied. A boat load of stone arrived on Wednesday with which to commence the work.  The Woefels are all right and while they are looking after the main chance, that at the same time are doing a great deal to build up Morris.


At the last meeting of the Sovereign Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows it was decided that memorial services should be held in memory of the brethren who had departed. This service was held by the Star Lodge on last Sunday afternoon at the hall in this city, when there was present a large number of the order with their wives, and relatives of deceased Odd Fellows. The ceremony was very impressive throughout. The following is a list of deceased members of Star lodge:

  • Dr. O.S. Newell, died in 1852.
  • Rob’t S. Jones, 1865
  • John Galloway, Sept. 25, 1869
  • John Eckland, March 14, 1872
  • D.R. Titus, March 16, 1873
  • Balthasar Baum, March 28, 1873
  • Henry Rutherford, May 3, 1874
  • L.S. Barrows, March 1, 1875
  • Judge S.W. Harris, Sept. 8, 1876
  • John Ashton, July 23, 1877
  • Thos. Richards, Jan. 9, 1881
  • Jos. Armstrong, March 1882
  • N. Berlett, March 15, 1883
  • Jas. Helman, March 6, 1885
  • Judge W.T. Hopkins, May 4, 1886
  • Geo. Stocker, July 12, 1887
  • Herman Moll, Sept. 4, 1887
  • John Burt, July 27, 1888
  • J. Blanding, April 6, 1890
  • N. Perkins, April 21, 1890
  • A.D. Miller, April 26, 1890

As the names were read a floral tribute was placed upon the altar. At the conclusion of this part of the ceremony, Rev. Magner delivered an address which was highly appreciated by all present.  The ceremony through was impressive.

Death of Clarence Allen

Mrs. Manning Opdycke received a letter on Tuesday morning from Mrs. Wm. Allen, who at present is stopping with her husband in Aurora, stating that their son, Clarence, who was an express messenger on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, with headquarters at Santa Fe, died on Sunday, after an illness of several weeks. When Mr. and Mrs. Allen left here for Aurora a few weeks ago, they knew that Clarence had been sick, but was then better, and it was supposed here that he was getting along all right, until news came of his death. Clarence Allen was about 24 years of age; he was one of the best young men of this city, everybody was his friend, and the news of his death brought sorrow to many hearts.  He was the main support of his parents, the father having been an invalid for several years.  His death will be a terrible blow to the parents and sister, Miss Nellie.

Mrs. Theo. Andrews, accompanied by her little son, Master Dalton, of Minneapolis, Minn., is in this city for a few weeks visit with her brothers Will and Pat McAllister, and other friends.

E. R. Hitt went to Minneapolis, on Monday on business.

Archie Burrell has taken a position as clerk in the Revolution grocery house.

H. B. Hoge has returned home from school at Staunton, Va., and will remain until fall.

E. H. Sanford, who for some time past has been stopping in Philadelphia, is at home for the present.

Mr. J. P. Kutz on Saturday received the sad news, from Lebanon, Pa., of the death of one of his sisters.

Geo. G. Youman, the gentleman who built the house of Walter G. Jones, has moved his family to Englewood.

Miss Mary Walsh, of Joliet, spent the Sabbath in this city with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. Walsh, and other friends.

Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Pool were in Earlville this week attending the funeral of the grandmother of Mr. Pool, which took place on Tuesday.

Little Herbie Schofield, son of Joseph Schofield, residing south of the river, who was injured on Decoration Day, is rapidly improving.

F. S. Schoenleber, as secretary of the alumni of the Chicago Veterinary College, was in Chicago this week attending the meeting of the association.

Mrs. John Burke, of Joliet, spent the Sabbath here with her mother, Mrs. Daniel Harrington, Sr., who is very ill and does not seem to improve.

The two boys of Eugene Starr arrived in this city on Monday from Clay Center, Kas., and will remain here for a time with their grandmother, Mrs. C. Starr.

S. C. J. Peterson, Hort Minkler, James Bonar and Ed Wainright went to Joliet on Sunday, making the distance in three hours and twenty minutes on bicycles.  They returned by cars.

Mrs. Will Hull and babe, of Wichita, Kansas, who has been visiting with her parents at Ottawa, arrived here on Saturday for a short visit with Mr. and Mrs. B. B. Hull parents of her husband.

Rev. R. Frame and wife are here on a visit to their daughter, Mrs. J. D. Davidson. It does look good to see Mr. Frame here once more, and that, too after so severe an illness as he passed through this spring.

Rev. C. A. Bucks and wife went out to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Omaha, Neb., last week, returning home on Saturday.  They were somewhat delayed on their trip by the heavy storms of Tuesday and Wednesday.

Clarence Reardon, who some three weeks ago was injured by a fall in the paper warehouse where he was employed, has so far recovered from his injuries that he returned to his labors in Chicago on Monday.

Wednesday morning Mrs. Thos. Carson and daughter, Mrs. William Allen, and the latter’s son, Tommie, started on the journey to old Scotland, where they expect to make a two month’s visit.  We wish them a safe trip.

Prof. L. D. Maltbie has just had printed, at the Herald office, 2,500 catalogues for the Morris Normal and Scientific School. The professor is now engaged in distributing these, and will spend most of his vacation in working up the interests of the Normal in Grundy and adjoining counties.

Miss Eliza Haley, who stands fourth in the Chicago Herald prize list of popular teachers, is a daughter of Michael Haley, an old resident of Morris-the gentleman who erected the sheriff’s residence and jail. Our people are interested, and an effort is being made to place her at the head of the list and thus secure to her the advantages of a trip to Europe.

On last Saturday afternoon a representative of the Herald visited the home of Uncle Seth Freeman, northwest of Chapin Park, which is adorned with several different varieties of flowers and roses. He has 100 rose bushes, seventy-five of which are different varieties. Mr. Freeman has reached the advanced age of 82 years, but still has good taste and takes the best of care of his flower garden,  he also takes great pride in showing everything which it contains.  Just as the writer was ready to leave Mr. Freeman presented him with an elegant large bouquet of flowers which was highly appreciated.

Rev. A. W. Chapman, of Seward, was in Morris last Tuesday.

Charley Decker knows that his team will run away if given a chance.

Children’s black flat hats from 25 to 50 cents at M. Hamlin-Woolsey’s.

We show the best values in gloves and mitts to be found in Morris.  T. H. Hall.

Mrs. August Burgmier, of this city, spent Sunday in Ottawa visiting her sister, Mrs. John Hartung.

Mrs. Josie Schroder Francis, of Peoria, arrived here on Wednesday, on a visit to her sister, Mrs. Wm. Gebhard.

Another nice lot of Jersey and broadcloth jackets, in low and medium priced goods, at Henry H. Baum’s.

Mrs. A. W. Kingsland, of Burlington, Vt., arrived in this city on Tuesday on a visit to her sister, Mrs. H. D. Hitchcock.

Dr. Axtel, presiding elder of this district, has been dangerously sick at his home at Morgan Park for the past few days.

Try one of our W.C.C. 460 corsets, the best $1.00 corset made, for sale only by us.  T. H. Hall

C. M. Goold will on Saturday open a drug store in the Pike building on Liberty street, his drugs, mixtures, etc., are all new. He has a very pretty store.

A recent letter from Mill Park, Minn., says that O. J. Conlan is foreman of a large cooper shop at that place and that the family are all in good health.

Israel Meyer has a fine stock of piece goods on hand also a good cutter, and is prepared to cut and make suits of all kinds for his gentlemen customers. Call on him when you want a good suit.

For Rent – the under signed offers her residence for rent to family without children; rent reasonable and located on North street, the third house west of St. Angela academy. Inquire at Herald office. Mrs. Maggie Fielding.

Last Wednesday morning a report was circulated here that a terrible cyclone had visited Channahon the night previous, causing a great loss both in life and property. When the facts were learned, however, it was revealed that the storm had struck Channahon only slightly, doing no damage except to blow down an old barn or two a short distance south of town.

On Saturday A. F. Mallory will open a stock of new fresh groceries in the Hanna building, on Washington street, opposite the Hotel Commercial. Mr. Mallory has had large experience in the grocery business, is acquainted all over the county and will no doubt come in for a good share of business. He returned from Chicago on Tuesday where he made final purchases of goods. He will next week put on the streets a handsome delivery wagon.

Buy fishing tackle of A. B. Hull

Embroidered dress flouncings at T. H. Hall’s.

Miss Nellie Burroughs has returned home from school.

To Loan – $1,000 school funds.  Enquire of Henry Stocker, treasurer.

Joseph Pancost, from Ohio, is visiting with James B. Hoge, of Nettle Creek.

Miss Carrie Knierem spent last Saturday and Sunday in Chicago visiting relatives and friends.

Rev. Father Fitzsimmons, of the Church The Holy Name, Chicago, visited with his mother and sister in this city a few days last week.

Hon. E. C. Allen, ex-Mayor, died at his home in Ottawa last week Thursday, of heart disease. He was 70 years of age and had lived in Ottawa since 1856.

Mrs. Sarah Phillips, the mother of Mrs. J. H. Alsdurf, has gone to Denver, Colo., to visit a daughter. Mrs. Phillips is nearly 80 years of age, but is spry and travels without assistance.

Mrs. W. H. Ward, a niece of the venerable James McNamara arrived here very unexpectedly on Sunday evening from her home in San Francisco, Cal. She will remain here for the summer.

Jesse Hobbie, who some weeks ago went to New York to work at carriage painting, has returned home.  He was misled by parties. While lighter in purse he has lots more experience.

Charles Hastings, of Kansas City, spent a portion of last Saturday in this city, visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eli Hastings. He was on his return home from Chicago, where he had been for a few days on business.

Long before leaving Morris, ex-Circuit Clerk Taxis, now residing at Geneseo, this State, was at work on a spring hinge which he hoped one day to get patented. Last week the patent reports showed that he had been granted letters patent on the same. Is this to be another Edison?

On last Saturday quite a large amount of traffic was received at the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad.  A car load of Utica sewer pipe for Thos. Ross; twenty-four steam registers for the parochial school building, Catholic parsonage and church; 140 barrels of lime for the Morris Paper Car Wheel Works.

Last Saturday morning about nine o’clock the pupils of St. Angela’s academy, well laden with refreshments, started out for Hoge’s woods where they picnicked all day. This occasion was a great treat for the young ladies and they all enjoyed themselves highly. They were conveyed to the picnic grounds by two large wagons, usually used for the occasion, by Mr. John Holmes.

Jenie, the eight-year-old daughter of Mrs. John Duncan, who lives west of the creek was severely bitten on the thumb on last Wednesday by a pet dog. Dr. Oaks dressed the wound, and advised that the dog be chained up at once, as should be done in every instance, and not killed until such a time as it will be possible to determine whether the animal has the rabies or not.

On Monday of last week Mrs. William Stephen and son, Merritt, left for Creston, Iowa, to visit her brother, Lyman Waterman. They passed each other on the road, Mr. Waterman coming here. Mrs. Stephen had gone to Omaha to see her son, William, and did not know of her brother’s departure up to Tuesday of this week. Merritt arrived home on Monday, and finding his uncle here wrote his mother at Omaha.

The Catholic Temperance Society held their regular meeting, at the old Parochial school house, on last Sunday afternoon at which a large number was present. After the regular order of business they discussed on how to prevent the saloon-keepers of our city from selling liquor on the Sabbath. They are determined to do all in their power to have the city law enforced in regard to this matter. All good citizens should assist in having the law enforced and prevent the selling of liquor and drunkenness on Sundays.

A ??? social will be held at the residence of G. W. Thayer, Wauponsee, next Tuesday evening, June 3, for the benefit of the Wauponsee church. All are cordially invited to attend.

J. B. Beckman, one of our best Swedish citizens, left on Thursday of last week to take up his residence in Joliet, where he will engage in the grocery business. Such men as Mr. Beckman are a credit to any community.

Gen. Hayes and wife and Dr. M. C. Sturtevant attended the annual reunion and banquet of the alumni of Oberlin College, now residing in the northwest at Chicago on last Friday evening. The attendance was large, and a very enjoyable time was had.

A. D. Morrison severed his connection with the Miller Plow Factory on Saturday evening and commenced work on Monday at the Joliet Rolling Mill. His family will remain here for the present. Angus is another of the good citizens Morris can ill afford to leave.

J. C. Owen, the gentleman who is to take the place of J. R. Forsyth, as agent of the Express Company in this city, arrived here on Monday and is learning the ways of the service and getting acquainted with our people. He is a young man, very pleasant, and will no doubt readily make friends. Mr. Forsyth will leave next week for a trip to the Northwest, when he will look over the country before deciding what he will do.

Jacob Gorich has commenced the stone foundation for the parochial school building. The building will be quite an ornament to the city when completed. It is very odd in shape, and will furnish light, airy school rooms.


Owing to the sickness of his wife the undersigned offers for sale his farm of 198 acres, in section 24, town 33, range 6, Norman township; 160 acres first-class land under cultivation and the balance in pasture and timber.Good house, barn and other outbuildings. Excellent orchard and plenty of small fruit. Never failing well of water. Title perfect. Terms. One half cash and balance to suit purchaser at 6 per cent interest. Inquire of John Thorson, Morris, Ill., or of me on the premises. –(May 30-4m, George Bingham)



I. O. Mallory was here last week.

D. J. Hughes was at Joliet on Monday.

J. A. Sawyer was at Chicago on Monday.

S. W. Winters was home the fore part of the week.

Benj. Peterson put in Sunday and Monday at Chicago.

J. W. Bookwalter took a run up to the city on the 8th.

Mrs. I. O. Mallory visited friends in Braceville on Tuesday.

M. G. Dawkins, of Chicago, is spending a two weeks’ vacation with his folks here.

Ole Nelson was here one day last week looking after his political fences; John Bonar was with him.

Albert Peterson went to Morris on Tuesday for the purpose of adopting the youngest son of W. A. Sargent.

Rev. J. B. Bartle preached his first sermons here as pastor on Sunday.  In the evening the church was crowded.

Miss Maggie Chivers left here on Wednesday for Chanute, Jas, to remain some time with Chas. Rixson’s at that place.

Miss Minnie Gunchen must be making crazy patch work, judging by the number of times the rag wagon stops at her door.

Arthur Dobbs returned home on Friday from Hedding college where he had been a student through the last year’s session.

Chas. Shalen came back here Monday from East Chicago, Ind., where he has been since last fall. His family did not come with him but will return soon.

Edward Price had a leg broken by a fall of stone in No. 2 shaft on Tuesday, and August Bettair had his side badly bruised on same day and by same cause in No. 3 shaft.

Dr. A. H. Reading has built a neat cottage at East Chicago and is now living in it. S. W. Winters is at present erecting a residence there for his family to move into when completed.

David Huntley, of Cabery, and Barney Miller, of Kempton, visited H. H. Smith this week. On Tuesday they visited Whitten’s stables at Wilmington and on Wednesday they took in the county seat.

Mrs. L. Seibury was struck by lightning on Thursday night of last week while standing in the back doorway of her home. She was unable to speak until in the forenoon of next day when she rallied and rapidly recovered.

Wm Gleghorn has straightened and braced his building that was recently so badly wrecked by a wind storm, and is rapidly repairing the interior ready for occupancy. The building was insured and Mr. G. got the full amount of his claim for damages.

Died on Monday morning, at 7:30 o’clock, of consumption, Miss Gonella Peterson, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thos Peterson, in the 16th year of her age. The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock, services being conducted by Rev. Oleson, of Grand Prairie.

Our well known carriage builder, Julian Vincent, was married to Miss Sarah A. Sutton, at Coal City, on Saturday evening by the Catholic priest there. In the night when they returned home the newly married couple were serenaded by the Braceville Brass Band. We wish them much happiness.

Two fellows, named respectively Nelson and Petro, came over here from Campus on Sunday evening and undertook to “paint the town red.” Marshal Allison would not have it so and ran them in. Monday morning Nelson was fined $5 and costs and Petro $3 with costs. Thus was the village coffers enriched.

The following named persons have been selected, by the Board of Education, to teach the Braceville and Central City schools next term: Principal, K.W. Leach; teachers, Misses Hattie Jones, Drucia Green, Rachel Hunter, Carrie DeNormandie, Mary Phillips, Lilla Holmes, Mabel Peck, Rachel Cumming, Mary Cumming, May Cumming, Mable Littlejohn and Nellie Watson.

On Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock Oscar C. Lewis, the genial book keeper for W.C. Sheppard & Co., was married to Miss Laura Bailey at the residence of the bride’s mother on Mitchell street, in the presence of many invited guests, Rev. J.W. Frizzelle officiating.  Miss Sarah Ramsay, niece of the bridge, acted as bridesmaid and E.B. Lewis, brother of the groom, was groomsman.  The happy couple left in the evening for Chicago to remain a short time.  The Herald’s best wishes accompany them.

On Tuesday afternoon as Mrs. Geo. Skeemans and three small children were returning to their home north of Braceville, after visiting at John Hays’ south of town, the horse began kicking furiously, smashing the buggy dish and kicking the eldest child, a girl 6 years old, in the face, breaking her nose and cutting her face very badly.  The frightened mother caught the child as it was about falling from the buggy and thus lost the lines.  The horse ran down Mitchell street to Winters’ corner, the mother shrieking and holding on to her child, who was almost out of the buggy.  At the corner the animal turned west and ran one block to the next street, when it turned again, and upset the buggy, throwing the occupants to the ground.  Strange to say no one was seriously hurt except the child who was kicked.  The street was almost deserted at the time, everybody arriving on the scene just after the buggy had passed.


Bert Martin, of Morris, was in town on Saturday.

C. Charlton, of Wilmington, was in town on Sunday.

Zathan Bailey, of Braceville, was in town on Tuesday.

H. Rigby was in Odell on Friday attending a horse fair.

Miss L. Hillard made a flying trip to Braceville on Tuesday.

Geo. L. Wilkinson, of Beloit, arrived here on Tuesday evening.

Mrs. Mallory was calling on friends in Braceville on Tuesday.

Mrs. Edith Fenton is in Morris receiving treatment from Dr. Palmer.

Wm. Hass and Charles Kewin returned from Denver Saturday night.

M. G. Dawkins, of Chicago, was calling on friends in our city on Tuesday.

F. Dimbleby, of Coal City, visited with I. O. Mallory and family on Sunday.

John L. Clover, who has been in Chicago for some time, is now home on a vacation.

Robt. Eldred met with a severe accident on Thursday, fracturing both bones of his right leg just above the ankle joint.

Dr. Underhill had burglars in his dwelling house on Tuesday night, which took what they wanted to eat and enough to last a good sized family several days.

The marriage of Miss Mabel Germain, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Germain, to Mr. Hida B. Goold, of Morris, occurred Thursday afternoon, which was too late to have a full account of the wedding in this week.

There was a wreck of fifteen cars, two miles east of town, on the K. & S. Railroad, on Monday night by the falling of the trestle work over the ditch on the east side of the Mazon, in front of George Spencer’s place. The cars were piled upon each other and generally smashed up. One brakeman was hurt a little, but able to be out the next morning. The baggage car and coach went off the track but did not do much damage to them. Three cars were loaded, one with binders and twine, one of buggies, and one of merchandise, where were all reloaded and returned to the shippers. The ends of the timbers of the trestle work were about half rotten, and the road had better look the trestle work and bridges all over that were built at the same time, which was about nine years ago. The wreck was all cleared and trains passed over the place on Wednesday morning.


Miss Nellie Cockeram is still quite sick.

Mrs. W.L. Fellingham is on the sick list.

Dr. Elliott received on Monday a new office chair.

Chas. A. Finch returned from Bloomington Saturday.

Rev. Rogers spent Monday and Tuesday visiting among his people about Verona.

Bert Adams, wife and children spent the Sabbath in Verona visiting Mr. Bradford’s people and to attend Children’s Day exercises.

Arthur, oldest son of W. W. Ward, is suffering from lockjaw, caused by running a stub of willow into his foot two weeks ago. His recovery is doubtful.

The Baptist people held their regular June meeting on last Saturday and Sunday. Revs. Gill, Downey and Bradbier were present and assisted in conducting the exercises.

Martin Finch has the lumber on the ground to build a new barn 30×40 feet, and a stable lean-to on the south side extending along both barns a distance of 80 feet.

Rev. Brigham, State superintendent of churches, will preach in the Verona Universalist church on Sunday, June 23d, afternoon and evening, and at the Gorham school house at 10:30 A.M.

While Martin Finch was hauling lumber for his new barn last week, one of his horses ran a sliver from a railroad rail into its foot so that it protruded above the hoof.  It took hard pulling to get it out after the horse was thrown and a pair of pincers firmly hold of it.

Ray. Rogers last Sabbath delivered a discourse directed especially to the young in honor of Children’s Day, which was first inaugurated by the Universalist church by Prof. Learned of Tufts’ college, formerly pastor of the Universalist church at Chelsea, Mass., in 1857.


Dr. Whitmore sports a new cart.

D. R. Dond’s fish pond is chock full of little fish.

Robert Glasgow is planting two car loads of tile, bought in Joliet.

Clem Oleson and wife were guests at Henry Mafskey’s last Sabbath.

J. C. Latz is replanting the tile on his Bagley farm, which was not well laid.

Mr. Gorman was promptly paid the insurance on his horse by the insurance company.

Geanie Parker, little daughter of Volney Parker of Colorado, is visiting in this locality.

Jake Stamm has pulled up stakes and left the tile factory position for the other fellow.

Barn Crampton, of Gardner, helps to await the number of clod-hoppers at Mazon Creek at present.

Walt Jenkins, of South Chicago police force, visited his parents on the Littlejohn farm some days this past week.

Mrs. Kate Hart found the ten dollar bill lost by Amos Matskey some two weeks ago which she handed to the owner as soon as called for.

Miss Christena Anderson, from Vienna, visited at Mrs. Whitmore’s the past week; also Mrs. Whitmore’s parents, from Livingston county, visited her recently.

Although the census enumerators are being killed off, we notice that Allision, of Greenfield, and Barker, of Mazon, still cling to the upper side of this earth and are as inquisitive as ever.

Miss Fannie Jackman hardly did the fair thing to invite fifteen or more lady friends in to help surprise her good old ma on her 50th birthday which occurred May 30; the time was so pleasantly spent in sewing, visiting, etc., that the mother freely forgave her naughty daughter;  several nice presents were made to Mrs. Jackman by her friends.


Ben. Trotter has got a nice safety bicycle.

Joseph McElmail has just returned from a trip to Denver, Col.

Mrs. David Archibald is very sick and is thought to be in a critical condition.

Died on Thursday, June 5th, the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Scalfe, of membranous croup. Their next youngest is now dangerously sick with the same disease.

Jas. Cooper is home on a visit to his parents, from Parkville College, Parkville, MO.  He has been out in that place for two years, and after a month’s rest will return for another two years, at which time he expects to graduate.

On Saturday last Ed. Knudston, one of our oldest residents, while trying to take a hand car off the track, was struck with the engine of the vestibule.  The blow was so severe that it broke his right thigh and bruised him about the body.

Died, at her residence in Coal City, on June 4th, 1890, Kate, wife of Joseph Nicholson. Kate Penn was born in Lowestoft, England, May 28th, 1869. Came to America with her parents in October, 1879, and settled in Coal City. She was married Aug. 28th, 1884, to Joseph Nicholson and to them were born four children, three of whom are left motherless, the youngest a babe of but two weeks. Although a great sufferer she was patient until the end. She was sustained through it all by her christian faith and died in the hope of a happy reunion with the loved ones gone before. She was the daughter of christian parents, and received religious training in the Episcopal church from childhood, but there being none of that kind here, she united with the M.E. Church, of which she was an honored member. Her place was never vacant when health permitted her to attend. Many will miss her voice in the service of song. Faithfully discharging every duty of life she has earned the Master’s “Welcome good and faithful servant.” The funeral was held in the M.E. church by the pastor, Rev. W.J. Frizzell. The respect in which deceased was held was shown by the large concourse of friends who followed her remains to the “Silent City” to await the resurrection morn. The husband, mother, brothers and sisters have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.


Lew Kaffer was in Morris Monday on business.

Wm. Randall, our census taker, is out performing the functions of his office.

Miss Mary Cantwell has been spending the past week visiting friends in Joliet.

Miss Annie Vance, who has been unwell for the past week, is now able to be out again.

Birdie Kaffer, who has been quite sick for the past two weeks, is rapidly improving and will soon be out again.

The Misses Watson, who are attending the Northwestern University at Evanston, will arrive home Wednesday of next week.

Mr. and Mrs. A.K. Knapp left on Monday morning of this week for New York State where they will spend a few days visiting friends.

A fire broke out Tuesday noon in the shop of Frank Carrier, in the Legett building. It caused quite a little excitement for a time, but our fire department soon had the fire under control, and the damage was not very heavy.


J. G. Hornberger lost one of his horses last Sunday night.

Wm. C. Preston started for his home in Nebraska last Thursday.

Don’t say Pa to Chris. Lee; he ain’t used to it, and it makes him blush.

W. J. Keepers purchases one of Louis Kulp’s Jerseys last Monday.

Joseph Kreiser, from south of Gardner, was at C. Klinefelter’s last Sunday.

Uriah Wanmer, of Morris, called on his son-in-law, James Preston, one day last week.

Miss Mabel Smith, of Marseilles, spent Children’s Day in this locality.  She was the guest of Miss Libbie Paxton.

Clarence Woods returned home last Tuesday from Onarga, where he has been attending school since last September.

Mrs. Fred Hammen spent last Sunday with her parents in Ford county.  Her sister Lillie came home with her to spend a few days.

A. J. Burkhart brought his engine home last Saturday, and has been having it repaired, and is now prepared to thresh your grain for you.


Josie Dondanville has the mumps.

W. H. Jones was in Gardner Sunday.

Minnie Raeberg is working at Dell Emple’s.

Rhone Thompson and wife visited Saturday night and Sunday with the Joneses, of Greenfield.

Tom Trimmer, Geo. Finch, Chas. Rasburg and a number of others went fishing on Saturday night.

Tom Sawyer started for New Jersey last Saturday. He had received word the day before that his mother was not expected to live.


M. S. Dewey has his house newly painted.

A. Buttolpa, wife and little ones, from Chicago Sabbathed in Mazon.

Ed. Booth was in Mazon one day last week canvassing for machinery.

M. D. Esgar was over and stayed with Volney Parker Saturday night.

Miss Jean, daughter of Volney Parker, Jr., of Denver, Col., is visiting here.

Volney Parker’s symptoms are no better. He is gradually growing weaker.

Frank Miller, of Minooka, is doing the lathing in D. S. Small’s new house.

D. P. Taylor and W. W. Burnham have each built an addition to their homes.

Alvin Small came over from Highland Saturday, remaining over the Sabbath with his cousin Burton.

Jno. Spiller was in town Tuesday and moved his stock of harness from Chas. Taylor’s to Dave Wood’s building.

Phillipe and Elliot, of Chicago, were here this week and rodded I.N. Clithero’s new house. Mr. C. informs me that it will be the best and cheapest job of its kind in the county.

Frank Watkins, accompanied by his mother and Mrs. Geo. Watkins, returned the latter part of the week from Chicago where he has been for a short time receiving medical treatment.  His health is much improved.

Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Kaltner went to Chicago Saturday to consult with a physician, where Mrs. K. received considerable encouragement and on Wednesday she went back and will remain for some time under medical treatment.

On Thursday evening of last week Rev. McAllister resigned his charge here as pastor of the M. E. church and will provide his farewell sermon next Sunday evening.  We understand he contemplates taking a course in the Congregational Seminary at Chicago, after which he will enter the ministry of the latter denomination.

A party consisting of F. H. Clapp, G. R. Davis, David Keith, C. S. Johnson, Geo. Hunter, D. S. Small, accompanied by their wives and Mrs. A. J. Campbell and Frank Randall, went to the Kankakee river on Friday of last week and spent the day fishing and picnicking, returning home in the evening after spending a very enjoyable day.

The executive committee, having charge of the Wauponsee Grove celebration, are determined that no effort on their part shall be lacking to make this the most enjoyable celebration ever held in Grundy county. From all directions the people are signifying their intentions of celebrating at the Grove. Don’t let any side show draw you to some other place. This is to be the World’s Fair celebration of Grundy.


James Dobbs’ children are on the sick list.

The infant son of J. N. Coleman died Sunday.

Will Holroyd was in the city over the Sabbath.

J. M. Vanderpool was in Earlville a part of last week.

M. F. James, of Saunemin, was a visitor here from Saturday until Monday.

Miss Mary Glass has returned home after a three weeks stay in this place.

A Mr. Dunham, of Livingston county, was visiting Henry Marsh Sunday.

Mrs. Watkins, of Coal City, visited her son Will at Herbert Haynes’ Sunday.

Ed. Glass and sister Libbie, of Dwight, were guests at E. B. James’ Sunday and Monday.

The Misses Cynthia and Martha Holderman, of Morris, visited Saturday and Sunday at M. James.

Ku-klux were abroad Saturday night, as we learn of their visits in several different parts of the town.

Miss Mary Goss, of Julee City, Kansas, accompanied by a sister teacher, Miss Clark arrived here Saturday.

Geo. Graham, who has a fine position in Chicago, is calling on his friends in Norman. He is census enumerator.

Hallie Haynes was in Chicago from Saturday until Monday, where he is under a doctor’s care. We are pleased to report him as better.

Mrs. John Haymond, of Dayton, Texas, has been visiting her father, Wm. Cooper, and other relatives for more than a week. She returned home Thursday.

Typed and submitted by Kathleen Berner Groll.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.