The following contains an historical list of newspapers published in Grundy County Illinois.
Yeoman, 1852-1854+: A Republican paper, edited by James C. Watters. A copy of no. 54 of the first volume is owned by Walter A. Rose of Mazon, Illinois. Changed to
Grundy County Herald, +1854 to date: Edited by Henry C. Buffington and Charles E. Southard for one year; Mr. Southard 1855-1864; C. L. Perry, who soon took Mr. Turner in partnership, 1864-1866. Charles E. Southard, 1866-1874; in 1865 Mr. Southard started the Advertiser, but soon resumed the control of the Herald, whereupon he combined the two as Herald and Advertiser, soon reverting to the name Herald. P. C. Hayes, 1874-1876; Hayes and Fletcher, 1876 to 1891; W. L. Sackett, 1891 to date. HF
Advertiser, 1865-1866+: Conducted by Charles E. Southard. Combined with Herald. H
Gazette, 1853-1855: Edited by A. J. Ashton. It was purchased by the proprietors of the Herald. It advocated Democracy.
Liberal Reformer, 1872-1879(?): Established by Joe Simpson. In 1876 run by A. R. Barlow, after whom Simpson again took charge and closed it out. Anti-Republican, principally Democratic, tinged with Greenbackism.
Independent, 1878 to date: Established as a semi-weekly by Perry, Crawford, and Kutz, March 1, 1878. In 1882 it was in the charge of Mr. Kutz alone. He sold about 1883 to W. J. Leacock, who a year later sold to Peter Low. In 1887 Low sold to C. R. Morrison, and in 1890 W. M. Reed purchased it, changed its name to the Sentinel and made it Democratic. In 1895 Reed sold to S. H. Bucklin and Son. It was subsequently owned by George Bucklin, and Bucklin and Hilliker, 1899-1900. January 1, 1909, the paper was bought by a stock company, with Richard F. Lawson as editor.
Source: Newspapers and Periodicals of Illinois, 1814-1879, by Franklin William Scott, A. M. (University of Illinois 1903); Published by the Author; Publication Date of “1910” is handwritten.
The Grundy Yeoman
The Grundy Yeoman was the first newspaper published in Grundy County. It was dated August 14, 1852, and published in Morris.
Source: History of Grundy County Illinois, Munsell Publishing Company, 1914
The Morris Herald
The Herald is the oldest paper in the county, and its history is closely identified with the history of the county for the last twenty-five years. The paper was established in 1854, when Morris was but a small village, and from that time to the present, it has held steadily on its way, being enlarged from time to time to meet the increasing demands of its readers and the business public. With its quarter of a century growth, it now appears as one of the largest newspapers in the State. Its circulation is extensive, going into every nook and corner of the county, and being read by all who desire to keep themselves informed in regard either to general or local news. The aim of the present proprietors is to make it a paper for the people – a NEWSPAPER in the fullest sense of the term. Its columns are devoted to politics, literature, agriculture, and general and local news. It has an extensive correspondence from all parts of the county, and aims each week, to give its readers a full account of all the important affairs that transpire in their midst. That the efforts of its present proprietors to make a good paper are appreciated, is proven by the fact, that its circulation, even in the present hard times is larger than at any previous time in its history. Having such a wide circulation and going into all the leading families of the county, it is an excellent advertising medium, and that this fact is appreciated by the businessmen of the county, is shown by the liberal manner in which they use its columns. The Herald is thoroughly Republican in principle, but does not hesitate to criticize whatever it thinks is wrong, either in the Republican Party or Republican leaders. Its proprietors are gentlemen of ability and extensive experience in the newspaper business. Under their management, the paper is exerting a commanding influence, and will doubtless continue its good work for many years to come. The Herald Job Rooms are complete in every particular; with a full supply of steam power presses, with an abundance of all the latest styles of types, and with skillful and accomplished workmen, the Herald office turns out as good work as can be done in any office in this State. The superior quality of its works and the fair price at which it is done have secured an extensive patronage from businessmen in all parts of the country.
Source: Lawrence & Thompsons Grundy County Directory, 1877-78, Page 57
The Morris Reformer
This paper was started in August, 1872, by Jos. W. Simpson as the Liberal Reformer. It was an offspring of the Greeley campaign and did valiant service in the cause. The cordial support received by the Reformer from the first issue, was cordial and reliable, and with such backing, only, can a newspaper be sustained. Starting, as did the Reformer, an opposition paper in an overwhelming Republican county, its steady progress and unflinching attitude in the advocacy of its principles, proves the strength of the foundation whereon it has been built, which has stood true through all the years of uncertainty common to newspapers young in the field of literature. Conspicuous among the theories sustained by the Reformer is that popularly designated as the Greenback Theory; and it is accepted as the organ of the greenbackers and labor-Reformers. Mr. Simpson conducted the Reformer until January, 1876, when it was purchased by the present proprietor, A. R. Barlow. At this writing, this paper is moving along solidly, and the proprietor is continually receiving encouraging words and substantial assistance from all parts of the country. As an advertising medium the Reformer presents great advantages, as it circulates largely among those who are dependent upon local merchants and tradesmen for their supplies and whose limited means save them from the disadvantage (?) of having “too many newspapers” to read, and consequently, they have plenty of spare time for studying their best interests by keeping posted as to the best places to trade, from the weekly budget of business notices, which are always of the greatest value to the public. The Reformer Job Department is continually receiving additions of new and stylish material and the patronage of that department is increasing. This DIRECTORY, which was printed at this office, was necessarily hurried along, owing to the limited facilities offered for so large a work. And it may prove interesting to state that every page was printed on a two-page form on a Gordon quarto press; a process requiring rapid haste and extraordinary labor.
Source: Lawrence & Thompsons Grundy County Directory, 1877-78, Page 56