N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #2

N. J. Comerford, a prominent citizen of Minooka and Joliet, collected obituaries and newspaper articles during his lifetime for placement in his scrapbook. Michele Roberts, historian at Three Rivers Public Library in Minooka, photocopied his books for transcription. That transcription is included on this website in a series of articles called N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook.

See also:

  1. N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #1
  2. N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #2
  3. N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #3
  4. N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #4
  5. N. J. Comerford’s Scrapbook #5

Death Claims Mrs. J.P. Clennon

Widow of Minooka Farmer Succumbs to Long Illness, Born in 1859

April 7, 1922, Newspaper Unknown

Mrs. Jennie Clennon, 63 years old, widow of the late J. P. Clennon, Minooka farmer, who was killed by a C. O. P. interurban car several years ago, died this morning at her home in Minooka after a long illness.

Mrs. Clennon was so critically ill at the time of the death of her mother, Mrs. Eliza Kinsella, March 8, that she was not told of her mother’s death. Mrs. Kinsella, 84 years old, who died at the Clennon home, was one of the early residents of the community.

Born in Sept. 1859 in Aux Sable, Mrs. Clennon has since made her home there and in Minooka. She was married May 3, 1881, to J. P. Clennon. Of ten children, eight survive. They are Mary, Katherine and Margaret Clennon, five sons, Cornelius, Andrew, John, Leo and Gerald. She also leaves a sister, Mrs. John Connell of Storm Lake, Iowa. She was a member of the Ladies’ Coterie.

Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Mrs. Eliza Kinsella Dies at Age of 83

March 1922, Newspaper Unknown

Mrs. Eliza Kinsella, aged 83 years old, died at 5 o’clock this morning, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. P. Clennon, who resides one mile south of Minooka. Mrs. Clennon is also very ill with double pneumonia, and it is doubtful as to her recovery.

Mrs. Kinsella is survived by two daughters, Mrs. J. P. Clennon of Minooka and Mrs. John Connell, Storm Lake, Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. William Coulehan, of Joliet. Owing to the illness of Mrs. Clennon, the body was removed to the home of Miss Ellen Connell of Minooka. The funeral will be held from St. Mary’s church, Minooka, Rev. Father McMahon officiating, and burial will be in St. Mary’s cemetery. Mrs. Kinsella is also survived by two nephews of Joliet, Thomas and N. J. Comerford.

Mrs. Clennon was slightly improved this afternoon. She is the widow of the late J. P. Clennon, former president of the Minooka National Bank.

Aux Sable

March 1922, Newspaper Unknown

Aux Sable, March 10 – The funeral of the late Mrs. Eliza Kinsella was one of the largest ever held in Minooka. Services were conducted in St. Mary’s Catholic church at 2 p.m. from the home of Miss Ellen Connell. The Rev. O’Brien of Morris, and Rev. Joseph McMahon officiated. The flower girls were Misses Mary Sweeney of Chicago, Lucille Comerford, Claire Comerford and Veronica Kennedy of Joliet.

Pall bearers were George and John Comerford, George and John Coulehan, Geroge Comerford and John Kinsella. Burial was in St. Mary’s cemetery, Minooka.

Mrs. Kinsella died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. P. Clennon, March 3. Death was due to pneumonia. She was the daughter of Thomas and Mary Smith and was born in Wexford county, Ireland. She was 82 years old. In 1853, she came to this country with her parents, settling in Lockport, New York. She came to Illinois in 1858. In 1859, she was united in marriage to Andrew Kinsella, and has resided in Aux Sable township for 64 years.

Surviving her are two daughters, Mrs. John Connell, of Storm Lake, Ia., and Mrs. J.P. Clennon, one sister, Mrs. Susan Coulehan of Joliet; also eighteen grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.

Death Claims Mrs. Mahoney

Widow of Pioneer Grocer of Joliet Succumbs to Illness

June 8, 1921, Newspaper Unknown

Lived Here 72 Years

Mrs. Ellen Bean Mahoney, 72 years old, a resident of Joliet for more than half a century and widow of the late Jeremiah Mahoney, pioneer grocer of Joliet, died last night at 6:45 o’clock at her home, 304 North Joliet street, after several months illness.

Since her husband’s death six years ago, she has been in poor health. A hemorrhage of the brain a week ago resulted in her death last night. Mrs. Mahoney would have celebrated her seventy-third birthday June 19.

Born in Frankfort

Born in Frankfort, Mrs. Mahoney was educated at St. Francis academy, Joliet, and was married Nov. 11, 1868, to the late Jeremiah Mahoney. The marriage is the first recorded on the register of St. Mary’s church. The couple was married by Archbishop Riordan.

For 47 years Mr. Mahoney was in the grocery business in Joliet, for 43 years of that period occupied a stand in North Chicago street, where the L. F. Beach store is now located.

Leader of Society

Since the organization of the Altar and Rosary society of St. Mary’s church by the Rev. W.J. McNamee, 22 years ago, Mrs. Mahoney has been president of the organization. She was also a past president of the Visitation and Aid society and held membership in the Business Woman’s club. She took an active part in all charitable movements in the community and took an interest in relief work of all kinds.

She is survived by two sons, Edward and George F. Mahoney of Joliet; four grandchildren, Evelyn, George Francis Jr., Helen Elizabeth and Jerry Mahoney of Joliet; two sisters, Mrs. Martin Clennon, Sioux Falls, S. D., and Miss Mary BEAN, Joliet.

George T. Smith’s Ideal Useful Life, Died February 22, 1912

Many Friends Pay Tribute to His Memory at His Burial

Newspaper Unknown, Page 12

The recent death of George T. Smith of Minooka affords a complete refutation of a statement frequently made in many quarters of late that no person is now-a-days long or widely missed when the pen writes this across life’s page. His removal from the sphere which his life and activities graded leaves a place which there is really none to fill and there are many kinfolks and far more numerous acquaintances and friends who realize that a princely presence is forever gone and that the life that is here no more was genuinely a beneficent factor in their own lives, that will be known again only in memory.

His Death a Shock

News of the death came as a great shock to the people at Minooka, where Mr. Smith had been at his place of business the previous day, and to the many friends in this city, who had met him in happy greeting at the house-warming party at the residence of his nephew, N.J. Comerford, on Western avenue, just a week before. It is recalled that on that occasion he remarked that he was not feeling well but that he was Nick’s only living uncle, was best man at his wedding, and was determined to be present at his party.

Death occurred shortly after noon, Thursday, Feb. 22, 1912, at the decedent’s home with his sister, Mrs. Eliza Kinsella, in Minooka, after an acute illness of but a few hours’ duration; terminating in heart failure.

Ireland His Birthplace

Mr. Smith was born near Enniscarthy, County Wexford, Ireland, in 1841. His boyhood home was in sight of Vinegar Hill, the famed battleground and to this fact was perhaps due, in a measure, the devotion and love for his native land which was manifest throughout his life. His early years gave promise of the rare intellect that marked his maturer life and he possessed a native wit that even in boyhood, scintillated with unusual brilliance among a people whose wit and mental acuteness was and is proverbial. Many wise saying and apt replies, early made on his native heath, followed the youth to his adopted country years later.

Came Across to America

Mr. Smith came to America with the family in 1852, when he was eleven years old, and they settled at Lockport, New York. With his mother and sisters, Mr. Smith came to Illinois in 1859, and embarked in the general merchandise business at Minooka in partnership with his brother-in-law, the late George Comerford. He at once became a leading spirit in the social and business life of the town in those pioneer days and this position of leadership and prominence he ever maintained, even to the end. Seeking a wider field for his energies, he later embarked in business in Morris and, though he did the leading business of that city during his stay there, he returned to Minooka in 1872 and resumed his commercial activities there in the lines which he prosecuted successfully up to the time of his death. His store was the mecca of old friends and former residents of the town, and its proprietor, though ever attentive to the requirements of business, was never too busy to welcome the old associates and chat over the things of the days gone by.

Active in Church Building

Mr. Smith’s activities outside of his business were many and they were especially noteworthy in the building of the first Catholic church at Minooka in 1863. His records of all the transactions in connection with the building and early history of the church are marvelously neat and complete, as deacon, and Rev. Father attention to the smallest details as well as to the larger matters involved.

Mr. Smith was never married, and since his return to Minooka from Morris in 1873, he had made his home with his widowed sister, Mrs. Eliza Kinsella, who survives. Two other sisters are also living, Mrs. William Coulehan of Minooka; and Mrs. Ellen O’Toole of Tipton, Indiana. The nephews and nieces surviving are Thomas Comerford, Mrs. J. P. Clennon and Mrs. John Brannick, all of Minooka, N. J. Comerford of this city, Mrs. John Connell of Storm Lake, Iowa, and the families of the brothers, John and William Smith at Lockport, N. Y., and of the deceased niece, Mrs. J. A. Kinsella, formerly of Joliet.

Many Friends at Funeral

The funeral services were held in St. Mary’s Catholic church in Minooka at 10:30 o’clock Saturday forenoon, and the people of the community where the deceased had so long lived turned out en masse to pay respect to the memory of their neighbor and friend. The large edifice was filled to its utmost and chairs were placed in the aisles to increase the seating capacity.

Rev. Father Joseph McMahon, pastor of the church, celebrated high mass and was assisted by Rev. Father O’Dwyer of St. Patrick’s church, Joliet, as deacon, and Rev. Father O’Brien of the same church, as subdeacon, Rev. Father P. W. Dunne, of Chicago, preached a notably eloquent sermon in which the virtues and strength of character of the deceased were truthfully recounted and commended to the people as worthy of their emulation.

Touchingly beautiful music marked the services, the excellent home choir assisted by Henry Odenthal and Miss Helen Kavanaugh, both of Joliet, who respectively rendered “Jesus, My Redeemer”, and “I Would Not Live Away”. Miss Kate McEvilly and Mrs. James Dunn sang with much feeling “The Nun of Death”, composed by Sister Gabriel of Mercy convent of Ottawa, Ill., and a close friend of the deceased.

The floral offerings were profuse and beautiful. A large wreath given by the Business Men’s Association of Minooka was especially noticed.

The pall bearers were Messrs. John Brannick, P.H. Briscoe, P.F. Whalen, M.L. Kaffer, John Carlin, and J. P. McEvilly.

Burial took place in Dresden cemetery, near Minooka.

Member of an Old Minooka Family Buried Last Week

August 28, 1925, (Special to The New World)

Minooka, Ill., Aug. 24 – Miss Agnes McEvilly, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Hugh McEvilly, died at her home here August 17. Miss McEvilly’s family came from County Mayo Ireland, and was related to the family of Archbishop McEvilly of Tuam.

Prominent in the church and business life of Minooka, she was widely known and beloved. She was a charter member of the Catholic Woman’s Coterie, and was foremost in all endeavors of St. Mary’s parish. She was identified with the business interests of Minooka, being assistant postmaster and later acting postmaster.

The funeral which was attended by many Chicago friends, took place Wednesday at St. Mary’s church. Solemn Requiem Mass was celebrated with Rev. Joseph McMahon, P. R., pastor, assisted by Rev. T. B. O’Brien of St. Jariath’s church Chicago, deacon, and Rev. Daniel Harnett, Joliet, sub-deacon. Father O’Brien preached the sermon. Burial was at St. Mary’s cemetery, Minooka.

The pallbearers were Richard McPartlin, Ernest Heilscher and Henry Squibbs of Chicago, and Louis Kaffer, Charles Dirst, and Henry Dwyer, of Minooka.

Agnes M’Evilly Dies In Chicago

August 18, 1925, Newspaper Unknown

Miss Agnes McEvilly, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Hugh McEvilly, of Minooka, died at the Frances Willard hospital, Chicago, at 4 o’clock this morning following an illness of several weeks.

Miss McEvilly was taken to the Chicago hospital two weeks ago suffering from an acute throat infection and died before an operation could be performed.

She was connected with the Minooka post office for many years as assistant postmaster, serving in that capacity during President Cleveland’s second administration, and also during the term of President McKinley. For a period she was acting postmaster, and later, did government work in Chicago.

For a number of years Miss McEvilly was in charge of the N. J. Comerford store in Minooka, and was popular in social and church circles.

The body will be brought to Minooka for burial, and funeral arrangements will be made public later.

H. P. Brannick Dies Suddenly

Prominent Minooka Merchant Stricken in His Home, Funeral Tomorrow

December 18, 1925, Newspaper Unknown

Henry P. Brannick, 55 years old, prominent Minooka merchant, died suddenly at 6:30 o’clock last night in his home.

Mr. Brannick had spent the day in his store and seemed in good health when he returned home a few minutes before collapsing.

He was born March 19, 1870, on the Brannick homestead, south of Minooka, and spent practically all his life in the immediate vicinity. For the past 15 years he had conducted a grocery store in the village.

He was married to Miss Kittie Kaffer and the next June would have celebrated his silver wedding anniversary. Mr. Brannick was a member of St. Mary’s Catholic church, Minooka, and of Joliet Lodge No. 296, B. P. O. E.

In addition to the widow he is survived by a son, Edward; two daughters, Aline and Anna Isabel; three brothers, John of Minooka, Michael of White Bluff, Wash., and Thomas F. of Reno, Nev.; and three sisters, Mrs. Thomas Brady, Joliet, Mrs. E. J. Duffy, Joliet, and Mrs. D. A. Henneberry, St. Petersburg, Fla.

Funeral services will be held tomorrow morning, leaving the home at 10 o’clock, with services in St. Mary’s Catholic church, Minooka, at 10:30 o’clock. Burial will be at St. Mary’s cemetery, Minooka.

A Good Citizen Gone

Friday, Oct. 30, 1914, Newspaper Unknown

E. D. Clarkson, one of Refugio county’s most useful and highly honored citizens, died at his home in this city on Wednesday evening at 8 o’clock, October 21st, after an illness of two or three weeks, aged 45 years. The funeral, which was very largely attended, took place from the family residence on Thursday afternoon at 5 o’clock and the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery, he having been a lifelong and a faithful member of the Catholic church. Services were held at the church by the Rev. J. B. Danado. The pall bearers were: C.H. Heard, Branch Smith, C.E. Simpson, Martin McGuill, Allen Heard and John Carter. Deceased is survived by a loving and ever devoted wife, four bright and promising little sons, Lawrence Denton, aged 15 years; Edward Allison, aged 12 years; Benjamin Palmer, aged 6 years; and Joseph Henry Oswin, aged 15 months; an aged mother and one brother, Lloyd, who reside at Corpus Christi, and another brother, Frank, of San Diego, besides many relatives. Mr. Clarkson had been successfully engaged in the drug business here for a number of years, and had up to a few years ago served the county as tax assessor, in which capacity he was a faithful, honorable and efficient official. He was also a useful and progressive member of the Commercial Club. Seldom has it been our duty to record so sudden a death, and a dark gloom spread over the whole community when it was whispered from one to another Wednesday afternoon that Ed Clarkson was gone. He was of an affectionate disposition, bright and winning in his ways, so that friendship’s circle was to him a large one. Indeed, it may be said of him, that “none knew him but to love him.” Mr. Clarkson’s sickness was of but brief duration, a little over two weeks. Seemingly with as today, active in life’s round of duty and love, but gone tomorrow. There was a daily beauty about his _____ which won every heart. In temperament he was mild, conciliatory and candid; and yet remarkable for an uncompromising firmness. He gained confidence when he seemed least to seek it. He believed that “men and women, youth and children, seek the friendship of the sunny-faced.” That “all doors are open to those who smile.” That “all social circles welcome cheeriness.” That “a sunny face is the open sesame to hearts and homes.” He believed that the man who scatters flowers in the pathway of his fellowmen, who lets into the dark places of life the sunshine of human sympathy and human happiness, is following in the footsteps of his master. Much has been taken from this wife and four little sons, from this large circle of relatives and friends; sweet ties have been severed, but much is left. The Christian’s hope and fadeless memories are still theirs.

Brother Emmanuel Dead

Newspaper Unknown

Brother Emmanuel, C.S.C., died of heart disease at the Community House, Notre Dame, Indiana, on May 13, after a brief illness.

The dead brother, who was 71 years old, was widely known among past students of the University of Notre Dame. For many years he was director of the Senior Department, now Brownson Hall. He was a type of the man who helped to build an educational center in what was practically a wilderness.

Brother Emmanuel was born at Durra, County Tipperary, Ireland. So long ago as 1862, he entered the Congregation of Holy Cross, and was in the forty-fifth year of his religious profession. Michael Hoctor was his name in the world.

Known to Morris People

October 1, 1915, Newspaper Unknown

Benjamin S. Cable, for many years general attorney of the Rock Island railroad and a frequent visitor to Morris, was killed instantly at Ipswich, Mass., Monday when an automobile in which he was riding was struck by another machine at a cross roads. The car as overturned, Mr. Cable, sitting on the right side, was pinned under the car as it was overturned. Mr. Cable was president of the United Charities of Chicago, and during President Taft’s administration was assistant secretary of commerce and labor. He was a man of fine attainments and a genial gentleman, as all who met and knew him here, will testify.

Former Mayor Loses Battle with Pneumonia

Sebastian Lagger, Long a Figure in Business and Politics, Dies

Funeral Tomorrow

Joliet Herald, November 13, 1925

Sebastian Lagger, 69 years old, former mayor of Joliet and president of the Superior Chemical company, died at his home, 604 Western avenue, at 6:10 o’clock last night following a two weeks illness of pneumonia.

Mr. Lagger, a native of Will county, was prominent in Joliet politics, serving as alderman for 25 years, and as mayor.

Born in Log Cabin

Born May 14, 1856, in a log cabin near Mokena, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sebastian Lagger. Mr. Lagger moved to Joliet with his parents while a boy, residing on Bluff street. In his youth he served as a member of the Joliet volunteer fire department and was severely burned in a fire which destroyed a soap rendering factory on Bluff street nearly 50 years ago.

Starting his political career as alderman from the Fourth ward, Mr. Lagger was elected mayor in 1897 to fill the unexpired term of Edward Akin, when the latter was elected attorney general of Illinois. He was then re-elected for a two-year term, going out of office in 1900.

A republican in politics, Mr. Lagger was associated with Col. John Lambert. While he took an active part in city politics, he never aspired to state or national office.

In 1900, Mr. Lagger, with Louis Lagger, his son, and John W. Block, organized the Superior Chemical company and was president of that organization.

He was also one of the organizers of the Joliet National bank, and helped form the E. Porter Products company, being its president until he sold out his interest in the company two years before national prohibition became effective.

Widow Survives

Mr. Lagger was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Ra___, who died in 1886. Two years later he married Miss Carrie L. Foster, who survives him.

In addition to the widow there survives one son, Louis Lagger, Sr.; three daughters, Mrs. Laura Lagger Hopper, wife of La Verne Hopper of Chicago, Sister M. Julia, a member of the order of St. Francis, of Joliet, and Mrs. Emma Lagger Wachendorfer, of Joliet, wife of Fred Wachendorfer, of Joliet; and seven grandchildren, Louis Lagger Jr., Dorothy E. Lagger, Edwin J. Lagger, Robert C. Lagger, Frederick Wachendorfer, Paul Wachendorfer, and Joseph Wachendorfer.

Funeral services will be held from the home at 9:30 o’clock tomorrow morning to St. John’s Catholic church, of which Mr. Lagger was a prominent member at 10 o’clock and burial will be in St. John’s cemetery.

Pioneer Resident Buried Sunday

Herald, September 13, 1915

Mrs. Emily A. Widney, pioneer resident of Will and Kendall counties, who died on Friday at her home at White Willow, in Kendall county, was buried on Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, in Aux Sable cemetery, aged 73 years.

Mrs. Widney, who was the daughter of the late George Van Duser, of New Lenox, leaves one son, Jay, of Plattville, Kendall county, and a daughter, Mrs. Ella, widow of the late James Edward Heap, of White Willow.

There are also brothers, Edward of New Lenox, Jerome of Iowa, Gilbert of Kansas, and Flora, of Iowa. One daughter, May, wife of William Madison, died ten years ago.

The funeral from the home in White Willow was one of the largest ever held in Kendall county. Rev. Walter H. MacPherson of the Universalist CHURCH, Joliet, officiated. Mrs. Widney, on account of the early friendships formed at New Lenox, also through her residence in Joliet for a long period afterward, was perhaps a woman of more wide acquaintance than any woman of her years in the Will-Kendall district.

Mrs. John Briscoe, Channahon, Dead

Newspaper Unknown

Channahon, Sept. 13 – Following the death of her infant son, born yesterday morning, Mrs. John Briscoe, aged 32 years, died last night at 10 o’clock. The child was buried yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Briscoe leaves a husband and four children, Salvesta, Jeraldine, Leona and Cyril; also a father, William O’Brien, two brothers, Martin and Patrick, and three sisters, Mrs. M. Hecht (Margaret), Virgie and Mamie at home.

Mrs. Briscoe had been married thirteen years. Funeral Wednesday morning from the home at 9 o’clock to St. Mary’s Catholic church in Minooka.

Hold Mrs. Murphy Funeral Tuesday

October 17, 1915

The funeral of Mrs. Mary Murphy, wife of the late James H. Murphy of Troy, will be held from the late residence, west of Grinton, Tuesday morning at 8:30 o’clock, to St. Patrick’s church, Joliet, at 9:30 o’clock. Burial will be in Mount Olivet.

Mrs. Murphy, nee O’Rourke, was born in Ireland. In the years that her husband was the political leader of Troy, she was his counsel, and an able director for the growing family of boys and girls. She leaves four daughters, Mrs. Edward (Elizabeth) Feeley, of Lockport, Teresa, of Seattle, Wash., Mrs. Richard Brady, of Joliet, and Veronica, at home. There are also three boys, P.A., of Joliet, Thomas, of Chicago, and William, supervisor of Troy township. The youngest boy, Paul, former supervisor of Troy, died more than a year ago.

Mrs. John Briscoe

Newspaper Unknown

Briscoe – The funeral of Mrs. John Briscoe was held yesterday morning at 10 o’clock from St. Mary’s church, Minooka, with burial in the new cemetery at St. Mary’s. The funeral was largely attended on account of the wide relationship of Mrs. Briscoe and the many friends among the people of Channahon and Aux Sable. Solemn requiem high mass was said, Fathers O’Dwyer and McMahon officiating. The latter was celebrant and Father O’Dwyer gave the funeral sermon. The pall bearers were William Kaffer, John Hennebry, Andrew Feeney, Thomas McEvilly, Cornelius Clennon and Henry Dwyer.

Mrs. Jerry Kelly Dies in Minooka

Newspaper Unknown

Minooka, Sept 17, 1915 – Mrs. Jerry Kelly, of Minooka, daughter of William Fitzpatrick, of Wilmington, died at 6:15 o’clock this morning, following the birth of a child, born a week ago. Mrs. Catherine Kelly was born in 1881 in Wilmington, and leaves, besides her husband, six children, Willie, Agnes, John, Edward, Leo and an infant child. The oldest is nine years old. There also remain her father, three sisters, Mrs. Joe Kelly, of Minooka; Mrs. Nellie Conley, of Wilmington; and Louise, at her father’s home. There are also two brothers, Daniel, of Joliet, and Dennis of Wilmington.

The funeral will be Sunday afternoon from the home to St. Mary’s church in Minooka, Rev. Father Joseph McMahon officiating.

R. Driscoll

Newspaper Unknown

R. Driscoll, the wealthy and aged ranchman died in San Antonio on Tuesday.

Dr. Frank W. Gunsaulus

Born Jan. 1, 1856. Died March 17, 1921.

Gunsaulus, Noted Educator, Dies Suddenly at Home

(By Associated Press)

Chicago, March 17 – Dr. Frank W. Gunsaulus, noted educator and writer and since 1892 president of the Armour institute of technology, died here suddenly at his home early today, following a severe heart attack this morning. Physicians were hastily summoned, but were unable to give relief to the patient who died two hours later.

Dr. Gunsaulus was born January 1, 1856, at Chesterville, Ohio, and attended Ohio Wesleyan university at Delaware, Ohio. He entered the ministry at Columbus at the age of nineteen and later held pastorates at Baltimore and Chicago. Then followed a series of professorships at Yale, University of Chicago, Ohio.

Dr. Gunsaulus

(New York Evening Post)

Among the men who just before and after the World’s Fair gave Chicago her place in American culture two ministers were prominent. They were Jenkin Lloyd Jones, the quiet, scholarly Welshman who organized All Souls church in 1882, and Dr. Frank Gunsaulus, who came to Plymouth church in 1887. The death of Dr. Gunsaulus, following upon that of Jenkin Lloyd Jones, removes an influence felt throughout the whole upper Mississippi valley. Dr. Gunsaulus was an orator whose powers recalled even Brooks and Beecher. Sunday after Sunday he would fill the Auditorium with crowds made up in part of visitors from every state of the northwest. His eloquence and learning made him a lecturer and occasional speaker who could not begin to meet the demands on his time. Like Dr. Washington Galdden and Jones, he was an apostle of social Christianity. Both he and Jones lectured at Chicago university. Jones headed the Tower Hill school and Gunsaulus for two decades was president of Armour institute. Both were keenly interested in social settlements and civic improvement. Chicago with her suburb Evanston can claim to be one of the three greatest theological centers in America, but such men as Gunsaulus are not easily replaced.

Noted Educator Will Be Buried Saturday.

Public honors will be paid tomorrow to Dr. Frank W. Gunsaulus, noted educator, clergyman, lecturer, and bibliophile, who died early yesterday morning at his home at 2919 Prairie avenue. For two hours – from 10 a. m. until noon – his body will lie in state in the New England Congregational church, Delaware place and Dearborn street, to give those who knew and admired him an opportunity of paying a last tribute. The funeral services will be held in the afternoon and will be public. Interment will be private.

Dr. Frederick Shannon, rector of Central church, will conduct the funeral services, assisted by Dr. Charles W. Gilkey of the Hyde Park Baptist church and Dr. Clarence T. Brown of the Austin Congregational church. The active pallbearers will be Philip Armour, Eugene Thomas, Charles Stridiron, Alfred Hodge, George Allison, and Raymond Thornberg.

Honorary Pallbearers

Among the list of honorary pallbearers were the following names:

J. Ogden Armour, B.E. Sunny, Frank C. Logan, Stanley Field, Martin A. Ryerson, Harry Pratt Judson, Charles L. Hutchison, Julius Rosenwald, John Miller, Edward B. Butler, W.H. Miner, A.C. Bartlet, John S. Field, William C. Smith, R.H. Parkinson, Berthold Laufer, George M. Reynolds, Lester Armour, Dr. H.B. Thomas, David R. Forgan, Bishop Samuel Fallows, Dean H.M. Raymond, Dean Louis C. Monin, Dr. Graham Taylor, Dr. J.C.K. McClure, Dr. Frank Billings, Ex-Gov. Frank O. Lowden, Cyrus H. McCormick, Judge Kenesaw M. Landis, Victor F. Lawson, O. B. Taft, O.W. Wright, Bion J. Arnold, Rensselaer W. Cox, Dr. O.S. Davis, E.A. Bancroft, Frederick U. Smith, E.D. Hulbert.

Thomas Downey

March 3, 1911, Newspaper Unknown

The death took place in Muskegon, Michigan, on Friday last of Thos. Downey, formerly of this town. He had of late years been living with his daughter, Mrs. McKearman, in Muskegon. The remains were brought here on Monday and services were held in St. James’ Church, with interment in St. James’ Cemetery.

Mr. Thos. Downey, an old and respected citizen of Seaforth, died last Friday in his 82nd year, in the city of Muskegon, Michigan, where he had resided for some years. He was born in Ireland and came to this country with his parents at the age of 5 years, the family residing at St. Columban.

When Thos. grew up to be a young man, he carried on farming in the Township of McKillop, on the Huron Road halfway between Seaforth and St. Columban. Subsequently, he moved to Seaforth where he engaged in several occupations and where he was well known as an enterprising, and above all, as an upright citizen. He was of a very genial disposition and a friend of everybody. He was one of the chief promoters in the building of St. James’ Church. Seaforth, of which his daughter, Mrs. McKearman was the efficient organist for many years.

The corpse arrived at Seaforth by the 11 o’clock train, a. m. on Monday 6th, and was met at the station by a large concourse of friends and conveyed to St. James’ church, Seaforth, where Requiem High Mass was celebrated by Rev. P. Corcoran, who made some appropriate remarks on the deceased. The interment took place at St. Columban Cemetery, where his wife, who predeceased him, is interred.

Among those from a distance at the funeral were, his daughter, Mrs. McKearman and her son, for whom sincere sympathy is felt. We also noticed in the sanctuary Rev. P. McCabe, of Maidstone, Rev. D. J. Downey, of Windsor, who accompanied the remains to the cemetery.


Sunday Herald, October 3, 1915

Duffy – The Funeral Services for Mrs. Jane Duffy, of Chicago, a former resident of Joliet, were held on Friday morning at 8 o’clock, at St. Anselm’s church. Rev. Father Hayden celebrated high mass, at which Miss Anna Collins, of this city, sang. Rev. Father Hayden spoke, a few words, paying tribute to Mrs. Duffy’s beautiful character and unselfish life. He said what her many Joliet friends believe that no one knew her but to love her. The remains were taken to Morris, Illinois, and the burial was made in the family lot in the Morris cemetery. The pallbearers were Arthur Lennon, George Winsor, Lawrence Ryan, Richard McPartlin, Patrick Mills and Dr. William Mahoney. Miss Nellie Duffy and Dr. Bernard Duffy came to Joliet to remain at the home of their brother, Edward Duffy, Raynor avenue, over Sunday. A granddaughter, Miss Jane Duffy, was also home from De Kalb for the funeral.

Former Resident Dies in Chicago

John McKernan, Former County Superintendent, Called to Eternal Reward

Newspaper Unknown

Former County Supt. of Schools John McKernan, passed away at his home, 4455 Berkeley street, Chicago, this morning, at the age of 70 years. This man had a host of friends in this vicinity who will be grieved to hear of his passing. He was elected in 1884 and served four years. He was the most energetic, industrious and effective superintendent this county ever had. Like most active men, he had some eccentricities, but they amounted to nothing in the light of his usefulness.

He was a Canadian by birth, and came to Grundy county, near Minooka, to teach his first school; then he found another position at Braidwood, where he married Miss Mary Duggan. She passed away in a few years and his second marriage was to Miss Anna Downey of Seefort, Canada – the old home. The wife and four children survive, Thomas J., Monica, John and Edmund.

After leaving Will county, he went into the manufacturing of school and church furniture in Chicago, then transferred it to Muskegon, Michigan, on a much larger scale. His health failed in a few years, however, and he sold the plant to Sears Roebuck Co. The funeral will occur Saturday, November 1, at 10 o’clock from the home.

Fr. Major’s Mother Dead

Newspaper Unknown

Mrs. Ellen Dudley Major, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. R.C. Auld in Indianapolis last week, was the mother of Rev. Thomas S. Major of Frankfort, Ky. The deceased was 80 years of age and had been in feeble health for some time. Surviving her are Father Major, his brother, Dr. George Major, of Bellevue, Ky., and Mrs. Auld. Mrs. Major was a Kentucky woman, and of the oldest families in the State. Her husband, who died some years ago, was Dr. Frank W. Major of Lexington.

Lawrence Baltz Dies at His Home

Newspaper Unknown

Lawrence Baltz, aged 42 years, died at 3:15 o’clock yesterday afternoon at his home in Seward township, eleven miles west of Joliet. The funeral will be held at 9 o’clock tomorrow morning at the residence and later at St. Mary’s Catholic church at Minooka. Burial will be made in St. Mary’s Catholic cemetery.

Decedent was a farmer and a member of the Western Catholic Union. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Frances and Agnes; one son, Meade; three sisters, Mrs. Simon Yack, Joliet; Mrs. Frank Stephen, Chicago Heights; Miss Carrie Baltz of Joliet, and two brothers, John Baltz, and Joseph of Bancroft, Ia.

Mrs. Comerford Dead

Plankinton, South Dakota MAIL, February 7, 1918

It is with a feeling of sadness the old friends here of Mrs. B.J. Comerford will learn that she passed away last Friday at the home of her son George in Los Angeles, following an illness of several months. Hardening of the arteries was the cause of death, augmented by the infirmities of old age, she having passed her 79th year. Funeral was held from the residence in Los Angeles Monday and burial will take the place today at the old home in Morris, Illinois.

While the family home of deceased has been in Chamberlain since 1879, she was a frequent visitor in Plankinton at the home of her daughter, Mrs. B.H. Sullivan and numbers many friends here who appreciated her fine womanly qualities, her genial companionship and almable personality. In the happy years gone by before the trials of illness and death entered the Sullivan household, the family circle was hardly complete without the presence of Grandma Comerford whose heart was ever young and whose spirit heeded not the hand of time and the infirmities of advancing years.

Deceased was born in County Wexford, Ireland, Dec. 26, 1838 and came to America in 1852, settling at Morris, Ill., where in 1857 she was married to Charles Comerford. Of this union eight children were born three of who are living; Mrs. B. H. Sullivan and G.W. Comerford, of Los Angeles and Mrs. Fred Dennett, of Washington, D. C. In 1879 the family moved to Dakota, spent the first winter in Sioux Falls and later locating in Chamberlain where deceased resided continuously until two years ago when she accompanied her daughter Mrs. Sullivan to Los Angeles where she has since resided.

To the surviving relatives, the MAIL joins in tender sympathy.

Death of J. E. Fox

July 9, 1925, Newspaper Unknown

Our worthy and highly honored old townsman, Mr. J.E. Fox, met with a sad and tragic death last week. On Thursday morning he was thrown form a horse and sustained injuries which resulted in his death on Saturday night shortly after 12 o’clock.

The funeral took place from the family residence on Monday morning at 9:30 o’clock and was the largest we have ever seen in Refugio, there being 90 autos in the procession. The remains were conveyed to the Catholic church, where services were held by Rev. Father B. J. Donado, after which interment was had in the Catholic cemetery. Many friends from every portion of the county and from surrounding counties came in to attend the funeral. The pallbearers were:

Honorary – Wilson Heard, M. McGuill, J. M. O’Brien, L. H. Johnson, Ed Coward and Eug. Low.

Active – John Power, Clement Heard, Ben Shelton, H. Strauch, Clay Murphy, Jim Brightman.

Mr. Fox was born on April 6th, 1861, in Refugio, where he has continuously resided ever since. He was one of the best citizens and most inFluential men in the county and had been successfully engaged in the stock raising business all his life. He was universally esteemed and honored by all classes, a good and friendly neighbor, and a true and useful friend – a type of manhood characteristic of his day and time.

Deceased is survived by three brothers and three sisters, C. P. and D. S. Fox of this place and W. J. Fox of Houston; Mrs. W. W. Shay and Misses Nellie and Fannie Fox of this city, besides numerous other relatives, all of whom have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in this sad bereavement.

Mr. Fox was a man of generous impulses and never forgot the hospitable ways of the pioneer. The stranger, even though a beggar, never failed to find food and shelter if he sought it at his hands, and he was at home by the bedside of the sick and delighted in al kinds and neighborly offices.

In the passing of this noble son Texas has lost one of its best citizens and Refugio a most faithful friend.

Jules Lumbard, War’s Sweet Singer, Who is Dying.

Lumbard Near Death

War Singer Whose Voice Enlisted 20,000 in Union Cause Dying at Age of 84

Was Praised by Lincoln

Herald, Oct. 10, 1912

Jules Lumbard, the golden-voiced singer of the civil war is critically ill.

The man whose voice popularized “The Battle Cry of Freedom” and lured 20,000 men to answer the war call of Abraham Lincoln is nearing the end of his long life of fame.

Lumbard is 84 years old, poverty stricken, and deserted save for the presence of an aged sister-in-law, Mrs. Mary Lumbard, in the three little rooms the couple have called home at 102 West Sixty-Eighth street. He is dying of old age.

Yesterday he had sunk so low he was unable to recognize a few old friends and acquaintances, among them, Will J. Davis, theatrical manager, who gave a benefit for the aged minstrel a year ago that was attended by many hundred Chicagoans.

Lincoln Paid Tribute

Lumbard and a brother, Frank, now dead, sang their famous battle songs in Chicago in 1860 and subsequently toured the northern states, rousing enthusiasm in the war. General Grant declared that their singing brought 20,000 men to the Union cause, and President Lincoln, speaking of them at a banquet, said:

“Let me tell you that two men – and they were not military men – by their singing have got more men to enlist in the United States army than fifty times 150 of our best recruiting officers ever addressed.”

Hundreds of thousands heard Lumbard’s tremendous bass-profundo in churches, recruiting stations and trenches, on battle fields, in convent halls and at practically every kind of gathering. His rendition of the patriotic “We’ll rally ’round the flag, boys” gave enthusiasm to the nation.

Caused Firing to Cease

Old soldiers tell how firing ceased in the “Yank” and “Johnny Reb” trenches when Jules and Frank Lumbard sang. It was on the road from Bull Run to Appomattox, in 1863, when the Lumbards were calling on Union friends at the front. Some one had asked them to sing.

From a thicket came a cry, “Hello, Yanks, isn’t that Jules and Frank Lumbard singing?”

“Hello, Johnny,” was the answer, “you’re right. Stop firing and you can hear.”

And the story goes that the firing did cease while the Lumbards sand, and that their last selection brought tears to the eyes of the soldiers on both sides, for they sang, “Home, Sweet Home.”

Jules Lumbard was born at Honeoye Falls, Monroe County, New York, April 18, 1831. When eight years old he began to roam through many states learning to be a telegrapher and later a printer. In Tuscumbia, Ala., where he remained for several years, he met Miss Marry Elliott, daughter of an old southern family, but soon after their marriage climatic conditions made necessary a journey north and they came to Chicago. Mrs. Lumbard died several years ago.

Laughed About Reverses

Lumbard always laughed about his financial reverses. At one time he made more than $300,000 in the oil fields of Pennsylvania and moved with his wife to New York, where they had everything they wanted. The fortune was lost and the life of luxury, as the singer once expressed it, left him “with the habits of a prince and the means of a pauper.”

Mr. Lumbard was at one time general traffic manager of the Pennsylvania railroad at Omaha, and the pension of $45 a month from this company has constituted his only income during the last ten years in Chicago.

John M. Hubbard, assistant postmaster of Chicago, Frank Lumbard and Charles M. Smith were his associates in the famous Lumbard quartet in 1860. It was while with this organization that Jules Lumbard sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” the first time it was heard in Chicago.

Mrs. Adelia Marion Fluent Dies

Aug. 17, 1915, Newspaper Unknown

Last evening at 5:00 o’clock occurred the death of one of Charles City’s oldest and most respected residents, Mrs. Adelia Marion Fluent, at her home on south Main street. Mrs. Fluent was born in New York state on Sept. 28th, 1841. At the age of 19 she was united in marriage to Otis Fluent and soon after they moved to this state and settled in Floyd. Her husband preceded her in death and then Mrs. Fluent moved to this city where she has lived ever since. About six months ago she was stricken with cerebral hemorrhage which finally caused her death. Mrs. Fluent was a woman who easily made friends and kept them by her sweet and genial disposition and willingness to aid others. She leaves to mourn her death, two daughters, May and Millia, one having preceded her in death, and two granddaughters, Mrs. Marion Mills and Mrs. Lynn Woodward whom she reared since infancy. The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 o’clock at the house, Rev. W. V. Whitten officiating after which the body will be taken to the Oakwood Cemetery near Floyd for interment.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.