The following are a variety of resources to assist you further with your research into Grundy County Illinois.
Vital Records Info
Grundy County Clerk
Grundy County Courthouse, 111 E. Washington, Morris, IL 60450; (815) 942-9024. Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Grundy County Genealogy Indexes are available for public viewing. They are as follows:
- Births 1877 thru 1915 – To be available to the public for genealogy the birth record must be 75 years or older.
- Deaths – 1878 thru 1917 – The death record must be 20 years or older
- Marriages – 1841 thru 1915 – The marriages have no date restriction, however a marriage must be 50 years or older to obtain the vital statistical information given on the back side of the license unless you are the bride or the groom.
Fees for research differ on whether you’re physically present or you request them through mail. All prices should be validated before either arriving at the courthouse or mailing your request in. At last check (6 June 2015) the prices were $3 for in-person searches, and $9 for mailed in requests. Get some more information including the form for mail in requests at the county clerks website.
Genealogy Search Hours: Monday thru Friday
8:00 am to 12 Noon
1:00 pm to 4:30 pm
Coal City Public Library
85 N. Garfield St.
Coal City, IL 60416
The WGGS Collection is housed on the second floor at the Coal City Public Library District. It is limited to “In-Library Use” only.
- Coal Mining in Illinois
- Coal Reports of Illinois First District Index 1882-1927
- Index to the Cemeteries of Southern Will & Grundy Counties
- Index to the Quarterlies of Will-Grundy Counties Genealogical Society
- Obituary and Death Notice Index of the Coal City Courant and Other Sources
- WWII From Homefront to Warfront
Morris Area Public Library
604 Liberty Street
Morris, IL 60450
The public library in Morris Illinois has a section devoted to the history and genealogy of the region.
The local history collection at the Morris Library contains non-circulating materials that may be of use in genealogical research. Of particular interest are:
- Card file index of names and items appearing in the Morris Daily Herald from 1853 to 1930
- Grundy County Cemetery Index
- Census records for Grundy County
The library also has microfilm copies of local papers dating back to the late 19th/ early 20th centuries.
Three Rivers Public Library District
Main Library – Channahon
25207 W Channon Drive
PO Box 300
Channahon, IL 60410
109 N Wabena Avenue
PO Box 370
Minooka, IL 60447
Our Local History Collection is housed in the lower level of the Minooka Branch. Our collection contains historical information from Channahon, Minooka, Aux Sable and Channahon Townships. Our collection includes genealogical information, photographs, yearbooks, area maps and plat books, newspapers and clippings, church records and more. You can visit in person by making an appointment or visit our Photobucket page to view some of our historical photos.
Open by appointment. Please call 815-467-1600 x207 and ask for Michele.
Because of the limited hours of our collection, our local history clerk can do searches by email or phone:
Local History Librarian
email at [email protected]
Carbon Hill Historical Society and Museum
875 Second St, Carbon Hill
Open Mondays 12-4 pm
Michele Micetich, Curator/Director
The original 1893 schoolhouse displays hundreds of original artifacts depicting immigrant turn-of-the-century life of families, businesses, and coal mines. Original items include the jailhouse iron doors, soccer trophies and bocce balls, coal mining tools, furniture and household items, old store supplies, Illinois coal reports, maps and plats, and plenty of family memories; there is something to interest everyone.
- Winter 2009 – Premiere Issue
- Spring 2009
- Summer 2009
- Fall 2009
- Anniversary Open House Invitation, 2010
- Winter 2010
- Spring 2010
- Winter 2011
- Spring 2011
- Summer 2011
- Fall 2011
- Winter 2012
- Spring 2012
- Spring 2013
- Fall 2013
- Spring 2014
- Summer 2016
Will Grundy Counties Illinois Genealogical Society (WGGS)
The WGGS Collection is housed on the second floor at the Coal City Public Library District. It is limited to “In-Library Use” only. The list of available manuscripts and resources is available in the following pdf file: Catalog Will Grundy Genealogical Society
The Will/Grundy Counties Illinois Genealogical Society disbanded in June 2019. While it’s active contribution to the genealogy and history of both Grundy and Will counties has ended, their contribution is remembered in the collection at the Coal City Public Library.